Kristin Seifert Watson
Kristin Seifert Watson was born in Youngstown, Ohio, and is the daughter of a steelworker and a teacher. She developed an interest in advocating for working people at a young age, and has dedicated her career to advancing and protecting the rights of workers. Kristin practices regularly in the federal and state courts of Ohio, as well as before the National Labor Relations Board and other state and federal agencies.
Areas of Practice
Caterpillar Logistics, Inc. v. NLRB, 835 F.3d 536 (6th Cir. 2016)
- Provided first-chair representation of the Union at NLRB trial wherein the Board found that the Employer committed multiple unfair labor practices during a Union organizing campaign. Handled the appeal wherein the NLRB decision was enforced.
Emswiler v. CSX Transportation, Inc., 691 F.3d 782 (6th Cir. 2012)
- Secured summary judgment and handled appeal affirming that judgment in favor of Union against Plaintiff’s claim for breach of the duty of fair representation under the Railway Labor Act.
Werner v. Ford Motor Co., 482 F. Supp. 3d 666 (S.D. Ohio 2020).
- Secured summary judgment on behalf of Union because of the Plaintiff’s failure to exhaust internal Union remedies in hybrid breach of contract/breach of duty of fair representation case brought under Section 301 of the Labor Management Relations Act of 1947.
Thomason v. Amalgamated Local No. 863, 627 Fed. Appx. 488 (6th Cir. 2015).
- Secured summary judgment and handled appeal affirming that judgment in favor of Union on claim brought under Title I of the Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act of 1959.
Arp v. Whirlpool Corporation et al., Case No. 3:12 CV 770 (N.D. Ohio Judge Zouhary).
- Represented a class of Union retirees in an action under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 wherein a class settlement was reached that provided compensation for Employer errors in calculating pension service.
The Ohio State University College of Law, Columbus, Ohio, 2004
Honors: With Honors
Honors: Moritz Scholar
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 2001
Bachelor of Arts
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2005
United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 2007
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2009
United States Supreme Court, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
AFL-CIO Union Lawyers Alliance, 2005 – Present
Board Member 2020-2023
Central Ohio Labor Relations Association – 2010-Present
Rules, Rules and More Rules? Rulemaking and Other Developments in Representation Under the Act. Ohio State Bar Association, December 2019
Access to Employer Property, NLRB Update: Can’t Help but Wonder Where We’re Bound, Ohio State Bar Association, December 2017
Moderator, Annual NLRB Update, AFL-CIO Union Lawyers Alliance Conference, May 2016
Card Checks and Other Legislative Hot Buttons, Columbus Bar Association, September, 2009
HIPAA: The Basics, Common Pitfalls and Practical Advice, Mid-Ohio District Nurses Association, August, 2009